Here’s a little something introduced by respected toy manufacturer Little Tikes — but which has mysteriously become more difficult to find on their website and online catalogue (perhaps due to the universal hoots of laughter with which it was greeted). Only the linked review page remains accessible.
It’s the Young Explorer workstation, which retailed for approximately US$2500, and which consisted of what various journalists dubbed “Baby’s First Cubicle”, outfitted with the following:
* Flat desk area
* Left and Right built-in mouse pads
* Bench seat that fits two children and offers storage inside for supplies
* Two locking cabinet doors
* Computer wiring stores safely inside ventilated cabinet.
* Locking castors keep unit from rolling during use.
Computer equipment features:
* Think Centre PC
* Internal DVD-ROM
* 1GB RAM (minimum)
* 160GB Hard Drive (minimum)
* 10/100 Ethernet
* Microsoft® Windows
* Sound Card and 2 External Speakers
* Surge protector
* 19″ Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor
* Custom Little Tikes Learning keyboard and Tiny Mouse (colors are subject to change without notice)
Computer Warranty: 1-year parts and labor.
Pre-loaded educational software:
* Millie’s Math House®
* Sammy’s Science House®
* Bailey’s Book House®
* Trudy’s Time and Place®
* Thinkin’ Things®
I guess it’s never too early to start preparing your kids for life as office drones. Interestingly, though, the two posted reviews are positive.
Look for one of these at a garage or yard sale near you this summer.